How to File an Accident & Injury Claim with Your Insurance Provider

Our David W. Martin Accident & Injury Lawyers in Fort Mill and Rock Hill know that after an accident with injuries in South Carolina, determining which insurance company to file a claim with depends on who or what caused the damage.

Our York County personal injury attorneys also know that injury victims often receive resistance from the liable party’s insurance company. Other times, they are challenged by their own insurance companies. In both cases, the insurance company will do all it can to minimize its exposure.

That does not mean you should pay for your damages out of pocket.

To follow are the key factors to filing a claim with your insurance provider, and how we can help if you are not receiving the response you deserve.

Let’s get started.

File a Police Report Before Leaving the Scene of the Accident

Contact the local police where your accident occurred before leaving the scene (if your injuries allow you to stay behind). Chances are, witnesses will call 911 once they see the crash, but follow up to ensure law enforcement arrives and fills out an official police report.

Without it, the other driver(s) may claim the accident never happened. And without any supporting evidence, it may be hard to prove, even though your damages say otherwise.

Seek Medical Care Right Away

Prioritize your well-being and seek medical care immediately after a crash occurs.

Avoiding treatment can lead to severe medical complications later and hinder your ability to get a treatment plan and timeline in place, so you can fully heal.

Contact Your Insurance Provider

Even if another driver was at fault, your insurance company should know that you have been hurt in a crash as soon as you are well enough to alert them.

The insurance company will want to know the details of the crash, which may include:

  • The vehicle you were driving
  • Location and time of the accident
  • A basic description of the accident and the severity of the damage
  • Names and contact information of others involved in the accident and witnesses
  • The name and insurance information of the other driver
  • Whether you have any supporting evidence from the crash, including pictures, video, or witness statements

When you are speaking with your insurance company, be sure to write down the name, direct phone number, and claim number provided by your representative.

Insurance Company Contact Information for Accident Claims

Company Claims Phone Number
Allstate 800-255-7828
American Family 800-692-6326
Amica 800-242-6422
Farmers 800-435-7764
Geico 800-861-8380
Liberty Mutual 800-2CLAIMS (225-2467)
Nationwide 800-421-3535
Progressive 800-76-4737
State Farm 800-732-5246
Travelers 800-252-4633
USAA 800-531-USAA (8722)

The insurance company will assign an adjuster to your claim, which may be different from the person you initially reported the accident to.

He or she will contact you for more information about the crash and your injuries.

Insurance companies — even your own — will record the conversation, which is part of determining fault. Stick to the facts and avoid speculation when describing what happened.

If you are filing a personal injury claim with the other driver’s insurance company, you may want to contact an experienced car accident attorney in Rock Hill and Fort Mill before this step.

Here is why.

Who is at fault for the accident matters, because the at-fault driver’s insurance company will be responsible for covering the damages, including your medical costs, lost wages, and additional expenses.

No matter which insurance company holds the negligent driver’s policy, their representatives are not going to simply write a blank check for your injuries. They are going to want proof of liability, evidence of your injuries, and an overall outline of your damages. Even then, they may still delay, undervalue, or deny your claim.

We can help.

Contact Our David W. Martin Accident & Injury Lawyers in Fort Mill and Rock Hill, South Carolina to Schedule a consultation Today

If you are hurt in an auto accident in South Carolina, you should seek medical care right away and contact our David W. Martin Accident and Injury Lawyers in Rock Hill and Fort Mill today by calling (803) 258-6199 to learn more about your legal rights and options to hold the negligent driver liable for your complete recovery needs.

We provide consultations for all personal injury cases in South Carolina, and never charge any legal fees unless we deliver a positive outcome for your unique case.

David W. Martin Accident and Injury Lawyers is the personal injury division of David W. Martin Law Group, LLC. David W. Martin Law Group, LLC. is responsible for all content, links, and blogs contained within this website.


(803) 258-6199 Call today to be our next satisfied legal client.